長崎,東山手のまちなみ / Higashi-Yamate, Nagasaki, foreigner’s offices

長崎東山手洋風住宅群 江戸時代末期(幕末)に日本が開国し1859年(安政6年)に長崎港が開港場になると、市内に外国人居留地が設定されましたが、東山手は市内で最初に居留地となった場所です。 このため、各国の領事館等が相次いで建てられました。 District for Preservation of Important Traditional Buildings In the Higashiyamate Neighborhood of Nagasaki City The district is part of the former European Quarter of Nagasaki which took shape after the opening of Nagasaki, Yokohama, and Hakodate as ports for foreign trade in 1859. Located on the hillside overlooking the business offices of Oura and the harbor, Higashiyamate was called “Consulate Hill” because it was the site of the Portuguese and Prussian consulates as well as churches, houses, and other structures. The historic atmosphere is preserved today in the old Western-style buildings and in the flagstone pavement, stone embarkments, gutters, brick walls and towering trees remaining form the […]

長崎,南山手のまちなみ / Minami-Yamate, Nagasaki, foreigner’s residences

大浦天主堂 Oura Church Ōura Church (Ōura Tenshudō) is a Roman Catholic church in Nagasaki, Japan, built soon after the end of the Japanese government’s Seclusion Policy in 1853. It is also known as the Church of the 26 Japanese Martyrs. It was for many years the only western-style building declared a national treasure, and is said to be the oldest church in Japan. グラバー園 (旧グラバー邸) Glover Garden Glover Garden is a park in Nagasaki, Japan built for Thomas Blake Glover, a Scottish merchant who contributed to the modernization of Japan in shipbuilding, coal mining, and other fields. In it stands the Glover Residence, the oldest Western style house surviving in Japan […]

日本三大花街,長崎丸山の残り香を探して / Nagasaki-Maruyama, the gay quarters

In 1642, brothels that had been spread across Nagasaki-City, which flourished as the only one window to the West during the period of national isolation, were moved to the newly created and officially sanctioned red light districts of Maruyama-machi town. Maruyama-machi, Nagasaki-City, Nagasaki-Prefecture, Japan June 2014, Olympus OM-D E-M1 日本三大遊郭として栄えた,長崎丸山のまちを,残り香を求めて散策してみました。 丸山遊郭は,寛永19年(1642年),それまで長崎市中に散在していた遊女屋が一カ所に集められ,官許の遊里と定められたことにはじまります。 井原西鶴は,『日本永代蔵』に,「長崎に丸山という処なくば、上方銀無事に帰宅すべし、爰通ひの商い、海上の気遣いの外、いつ時を知らぬ恋風恐ろし」と記しています。 長崎県長崎市丸山町 2014年6月撮影,Olympus OM-D E-M1

教会と寺院が共存するまち,平戸 / Hirado, a combination of Catholic Church and traditionally Japanese tiled roofs of the two temples

  Hirado has been a port of call for ships between the Asian mainland and Japan since the Nara period. During the Kamakura and Muromachi periods, the local Matsuura clan held the rights to trade with Korea and with Sung Dynasty China. During the Sengoku and early Edo periods, Hirado’s role as a center of foreign trade increased, especially vis-a-vis Ming Dynasty China and the Dutch East India Company (VOC). The Portuguese arrived in 1550, and the English and Dutch initially reached Japan at the beginning of the 17th century.   The first step in the profitable Dutch-Japanese trading relationship was the Shogun’s grant of a trading pass (handelspas) in […]