Jikkacho Shimonzen ( Ten Areas and Four Temple Towns )
The basic demarcation of towns and areas of Kawagoe was established during the reign of Nobutsuna Matsudaira (1639-1662), a feudal lord of Kawagoe Castle.
The area of Kami Gokacho which consists of Edo-machi, Hon-machi, Minami-machi, Kita-machi, Takazawa-machi,and the area of Shimo Gokacho which consists of? Kamimatsue-cho,Taga-machi, Kaji-machi, Shigi-machi and Shita-machi, together with the four temple towns of Yojuin Temple,Gyodenji Temple,Renkeiji Temple,and Myoyoji Temple were collectively designated as “Jikkacho Shimonzen”.
Many official names of the towns and areas were changed at the time of amendment of the town/area names, as well as lot numbers in 1961, however some of the names from old times can still be observed in some places.
Kawagoe, Saitama-Prefecture, Japan.